Why all the fuss about good and bad cholesterol in the diet? I agree with physicians who are now saying that the problem is not cholesterol, but inflammation……
There are 9 benefits of cholesterol in the diet…..
1. Cholesterol is vital for balanced hormones and the manufacture of those that deal with the stress of everyday living. These hormones also are protective against heart disease and cancer.
2. Cholesterol is needed by the body to make all the sex hormones including andogen, testosterone, estrogen, progesterone and DHEA.
3. Cholesterol is necessary for the body to properly use Vitamin D, which is critical for all body systems including the bones, nerves, proper growth, mineral metabolism, muscle tone, insulin production, fertility and strong immunity.
4. Bile salts made by the liver require cholesterol. Bile is critical to the digestive process and absorption of dietary fats.
5. Cholesterol functions as a powerful antioxidant in the body and is protective of free radical damage to tissues.
6. Cholesterol is vital for proper functioning of the brain. Cholesterol is used by serotonin receptors (serotonin is the body’s natural ‘feel good’ chemical). No wonder low cholesterol levels have been associated with aggressive and violent tendencies, depression and suicide.
7. Breast milk is ideally rich in cholesterol and contains a special enzyme for the baby to properly utilize it. Babies and children need cholesterol for proper growth and development of the brain, nervous system and immune function.
8. Cholesterol is necessary for proper functioning of the intestines and maintaining the integrity of the intestinal wall. Low cholesterol diets can lead to leaky gut syndrome and other digestive problems.
9. Cholesterol is critical to repair of damaged cells. This is why cholesterol levels naturally rise as we age and are beneficial to the elderly. Women with the highest cholesterol actually live the longest. Dr. Meyer Texon MD, a respected pathologist practicing at New York University Medical Center, observes that accusing saturated fat and cholesterol for hardening of the arteries is like accusing white blood cells of causing infection……Brenda Ihle, RN, CHN, HHP….A Health Connection LLC